Be prepared for a medical emergency while traveling
Millions of Americans are vacation bound this summer, with nearly nine in 10 Americans planning a trip, according to one national travel survey. One of the last things vacationers want to think about is a medical emergency or illness while away from home.
Yet, with so many people taking trips, some are likely to require health care. Whether traveling overseas or within the United States, it is important to be prepared.
UnitedHealthcare’s Golden Rule Insurance Company (www.goldenrule.com) offers travelers five quick tips to help prepare for unexpected medical needs while away from home.
- Make sure you understand your coverage before you leave. Know what you would have to pay out of your own pocket if you need medical care while traveling.
- Always carry your health insurance card. It will make it much easier for you and the health care provider to contact your insurance company if questions arise.
- Bring a list of your prescription drugs. Include any over-the-counter drugs you take regularly.
- Find out which urgent care centers, hospitals and pharmacies in your destination city belong to your insurance provider networks. Check your insurer’s website or consider downloading an app such as UnitedHealthcare’s Health4Me, which helps locate the nearest in-network doctor, clinic or hospital.
- If you plan to travel abroad, learn whether your health insurance plan covers treatment outside the United States. Make note of what documentation you need and the process for filing claims, especially if you are overseas. Consider buying an international policy if overseas medical expenses are not covered.
With a few minutes of planning before leaving home, travelers can help protect their health and their wallets.
A leading provider of health insurance for individuals and families for 70 years, Golden Rule became a UnitedHealthcare company in 2003. UnitedHealthcare’s personal health and dental plans are offered in 40 states and the District of Columbia, and marketed under the UnitedHealthOne brand. For more information, consumers can call 1-800-444-8990, visit www.goldenrule.com or contact a local independent insurance broker who offers Golden Rule health and dental plans.