For the most part, much of the history of medicine comes from herbs and plants that have special healing properties. During ancient times, civilizations that were close to dry regions would use herbs in treating burns, reducing fever, and healing wounds. One of the most prominent herbs that were widely used was Aloe Vera. It was such a valuable medicine that prominent historical figures would go out of his way to secure the herbal medicine’s supply routes.
After thousands of years, aloe vera is still proven as a powerful and unique herbal medicine that can be used for various uses. Botanically, it’s known as Aloe barbadensismiller and is a succulent that will usually grow to around 30 centimeters in height. As a succulent, it’s known for efficiently storing water and thriving in dry regions.
Aloe vera is also known for growing in sub-temperate and tropical regions and can grow in Asia, South America, and the Mediterranean.
Just like most herbs, the healing properties usually come from the fleshy leaves. One of aloe vera’s iconic features is that it will usually exhibit light green with white patches while having harmless spiny barbs in its outline.
The Unique Properties of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known for having around 200 active substances that are naturally-occurring components for the formation of vitamins, enzymes, minerals, and essential proteins. These nutrients promote absorption, digestive health, and immunity in the body.
In addition to improving the overall performance of the body, aloe vera is known for being anti-mutagenic while being able to fight cancer cells.
Aloe vera is also known for having the following functions:
- Slows down the aging process
- Helps eliminate wrinkles
- Soothes pain while having sedative properties
- Helps with the digestive process by being a laxative
- Anti-microbial properties that can stop the formation of infections
- Radioprotective, meaning it protects against harmful UV rays.
Skincare and Hair Treatment
As most of us know, aloe vera is tied closely with the skincare and hair treatment industry. Most products that are used for treating the hair will usually claim to have aloe vera. But how does aloe vera play in this industry?
Aloe vera can have the following influence on the skin and hair:
- It treats baldness and dandruff.
- Aloe Vera is an excellent way of treating delicate and thin hair. Massaging your scalp with it for a few minutes before drying can have lasting effects on your hair.
- Since aloe vera has cardio-protective properties, most sun creams will use aloe vera with an SPF of more than 50.
- Aloe vera is mostly used as a moisturizer as it can easily retain moisture and in the skin. Besides being a moisturizer, aloe vera can also be used together with lemon juice and other ingredients as a scrub for bathing. The natural properties of aloe vera can help fix lines from aging while healing scars.
It’s important to note that even though aloe vera is beneficial to our skin and health, it is not a direct form of treatment for skin conditions. When treating your skin and ensuring the best results, seeing certified professional dermatologists should be your priority. While skincare products might help with your skin’s health, visiting a face skin clinic will yield more results. Having professional aid when you’re having your skin treated can remove any possibility of complications from happening.
The Uses of Aloe Vera
There are a plethora of different uses for aloe vera, while the majority of benefits are medical. But other than being used for skincare, what are its benefits?
- Aloe vera is known for treating skin conditions such as sunburns, burns, and psoriasis.
- It helps with arthritis, nervous system complications, and asthma.
- Small doses can be added into drinks to form an innervating tonic.
- Aloe vera helps with conjunctivitis through the application on the outer part of the eyelids.
- Aloe gel is known for treating hyperacidity and providing relief from GERD.
- It helps lower the blood sugar of individuals.
- Is known for being a powerful antioxidant.
Aloe vera has a multitude of different uses that it’s considered a wonder plant by many. Not only does it improve various vital bodily functions, but it has also been lauded as a centerpiece in the skincare and hair treatment industries.
Being a herb, it does not contain any synthetic chemicals that might harm the body and your skin. Since it can grow in almost any humid environment, it does not require much attention than other herbs. Being a herbal medicine that has been cultivated for thousands of years makes it a go-to plant for any complication.