Did you notice some red or purple marks on your leg or face that are shaped like a spider web? If you do then don’t worry since they won’t bring any serious condition. They are a temporary vein disease called spider veins.
It is a common condition that affects many adults so you shouldn’t be stressed about it. You may be wondering why they suddenly appeared on your skin for no reason, well it’s because your veins are enlarged abnormally after being damaged.
Although they cannot any harm, many people tend to remove them from their skin for cosmetic reasons since no one would like to see some web-shaped marks on their legs.
However, they may cause pain sometimes which can be annoying that’s why in this article we are going to tell you how can you prevent and treat them so that you can get the right treatment done.
What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are also known as telangiectasia, which is small blood vessel clusters that appear near the skin’s surface. They’re usually red, blue, or purple, and they have a spider-web appearance. They are most common on the face and legs.
Additionally, if you are suffering from spider veins you must have heard about varicose veins. It’s a similar condition with the same consequences.
However, in varicose veins, the veins become more enlarged and appear only on the legs. They are usually purple or blue with a twisted or bulging appearance. They are harmless but, in some cases, they may cause a blood clot and increased blood circulation problems.
They both may look alike but they are both different conditions, so you need to make sure you figure out what you are suffering from, before looking for treatments.
There can be various reasons for this condition, but the main reason for these marks appearing on your leg is the valves of your veins not working properly.
Blood returns to the heart via veins. They have a one-way valve that closes after the blood has passed through it to prevent blood from going backward.
However, if too much pressure is applied, blood may struggle to flow in the correct direction and if this valve weakens or becomes damaged, it may begin to pool inside the vein. Gradually, this can create a bulge in your vein that branches out as spider veins.
And on the face, they may appear as a result of small veins bursting due to harsh rays of sunlight.
It’s often noticed that spider veins don’t show any signs or symptoms other than abnormal vein structures, however, some people may experience problematic symptoms like:
- Wounds in ankle
These symptoms are rarely life-threatening, still, wounds and blood clots may worsen the condition and increase the pain.
Who are at the Risk of Spider Veins?
Spider veins are a common vein disease however, some people might be at more risk than others, due to factors like:
- Obesity: Just like mentioned before, too much pressure can cause your veins to burst and extra body weight puts pressure on your legs.
- Being an elder person: You may have noticed that your grandparents have many vessels damage marks on their skin, it’s because when you get older, your valves get weaken over time which increases the risk of diseases like spider veins.
- Genetics: If your blood-related family member such as your parents have this disease, then it’s more likely to happen to you as well.
- Sitting or standing for long periods: When you stay in the same position for a long time, it gets hard for your veins to deliver blood to your heart. So, if you work at an office, make sure you move every 30 minutes and if you are a teacher or a nurse, take a rest every 30 minutes.
- Being a female: There are more female Patients of spider vein than males.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, the veins have to work harder and the weight of the fetus also gains increase pressure on the legs. However, these marks often disappear after pregnancy but sometimes, they last forever.
- Exposing your skin to the sun often: It’s not like you shouldn’t expose your skin to sun rays at all but UV rays from the sun can break your blood vessels and cause spider veins. To avoid such conditions, you should apply sunscreen and use sun-protective hats if you are going to stay outdoors for long periods.
We have mentioned multiple times that spider veins are harmless however, some people may treat them for cosmetic purposes.
If you are looking to treat them, there are several options available such as:
For early treatment, your doctor will advise you to wear compression stockings. These stockings can help you to maintain your blood circulation by increasing pressure in your legs.
In addition, it can also reduce your swelling and risk of blood clots as well.
Sclerotherapy is a common treatment for spider veins in which a chemical is injected into the affected area, inside of the vein is irritated and scarred by the chemical, which causes it to collapse and eventually disappear.
The veins usually disappear in 3 to 6 weeks and you may need to do this treatment at least 2 or 3 times for the best results.
This procedure doesn’t take a lot of time and it’s too painful that’s why anesthesia isn’t used.
Also, your doctor will allow you to go back to your work from the next day.
Also, if you are from Pittsburgh, PA, USA, then you can get a free screening by Spider veins treatment in Pittsburgh.
Spider veins can appear on your legs if your vessels burst due to high pressure which can be annoying if you love to keep your legs beautiful.
That’s why you can choose to remove them with treatments like sclerotherapy and you can even use compression stockings which will help you reduce swellings and help regulate the blood circulation to the heart.
However, if you have any health concerns related to spider veins then make sure to contact your doctor before trying any home treatments.