Anxiety has become a very common health problem that is often treated with various medications. Although pharmaceuticals can be effective, they are not treating the underlying cause of the problem which can be as simple as sleep deprivation.
Here are 5 simple steps that you can take to help decrease anxiety:
1) First, sleep between 8 and 9 hours in order to help balance your stress hormones.
2) Keep the bedroom completely dark to ensure a good night’s sleep which elevates feel good hormones like melatonin.
3) Eat during the day every three to four hours; a snack or meal that contains protein. This will help to maintain optimum blood sugar levels which will help to balance stress hormones.
4) It is important to avoid stimulants such as chocolate and coffee especially after 3:00 pm because it will increase stress hormones and disrupt the circadian rhythm.
5) Most importantly incorporate some kind of exercise into your daily routine. Exercise helps to normalize the stress response and can be very effective in treating anxiety. It is important to include some kind of daily moving relaxation techniques such as yoga or tai chi that also help to decrease anxiety levels.